Bandler and Grinder modeled Virginia Satir, Fritz Perls and Milton Erickson and created the The Meta Model and The Milton Model. They used the work of Alfred Korzybski, Gregory Bateson and Paul Watzlawick to create them. The first NLP techniques evolved from the Meta and Milton models, which were originally language models for therapeutic change.
Techniques based on the major models and foundations
- NLP Reframing
- NLP Modeling, finding the structure of excellence
- Creating Metaphors for Change
- This technique is used for indirectly suggesting new strategies and resources to get to desired outcomes.
- Eye Body Language – or eye patternsThis technique enables rapport and is also a vital part of NLP modeling
- Representational SystemsThe technique of noticing and using representational systems is used for rapport, NLP modeling and the development of hypnotic trance. It is a useful tool for problem solving and expanding our map of our world.
- NLP Rapport – creating trust and understanding
- A Pattern Interrupt to Change a Strategy
- State Elicitation for Anchoring and Changing StatesIs an important part of successful anchoring, modeling and managing or changing states
- Well Formed Outcomes – the Power to Change Your World. This pattern is a major organizing pattern for NLP techniques overall.
Change the meaning to get changes of behavior
- The Six Step Reframe TechniqueA powerful early technique for dealing with unwanted behaviors
- Sleight of Mouth – Robert Dilts reframing for conversational belief change – based on his modeling of extraordinary people
- Mind lines: Lines for changing minds Michael Hall’s extension of the Sleight of Mouth reframing patterns
- Circle of Excellence for Powerful StatesGathering powerful internal states and making them consciously available.
- Triple Perspectives for Communication Problems
- Getting out of a stuck communication pattern or developing a more flexible attitude.
- Visual squash – a powerful way to collapse an anchorFreedom from negative associations – collapsing anchors or yucky parts.
NLP Submodality Techniques
- Mapping Across – an NLP technique using submodalities.Mapping across transfers the submodalities or elements of a particular state or context to another.
- NLP Swish – Change is easy
- The Godiva chocolate pattern.
- The ecstasy pattern.
- Laugh till you drop.
- TOTE strategies.
- Time Line Therapy to Create a Brighter FutureOvercoming limiting decisions and negative emotions
- Association DissociationBoth unwanted and an absence of emotion can cause difficulty
- The NLP Phobia Treatment pattern (or phobia cure) Fast safe relief from phobias. Anthony Robbins popularized this technique on national television
Mental Imagery Techniques
Patterns for Rehearsing and testing performance
- The New Behavior GeneratorTo gain skills needed for long term outcomes.
- Future Pacing TechniqueFor testing changes and anchoring resources to a context